29 January, 2013

We Reap What We Sow

                                              by 6B Wong Sze Wai 
Have you ever imagined you could travel through time?  To me, this dream has always been just that, a dream - until that night.  Then everything changed.

Last Saturday night when I was going home, a thunderstorm suddenly came. I had no choice but to shelter from the heavy rain under a building. All of a sudden a spark of light appeared in front of me.  When I realized what had happened I felt some force engulf me in darkness; I think I fainted for few seconds.

When I became conscious again, I found that I was standing in an unknown place.  Around me were a few buildings, just like the flats in Hong Kong.  Oh, no!  Looking at the buildings more clearly, they were all skyscrapers with over 60 floors!  And there above the sky were cars travelling on the highways!  Where was I?!

While I was standing there, confused, a young man walked towards me.
“Are you Charles? Charles Ho?” the man asked excitedly.
“Yes, I am Charles Ho. May I ask a question? Where is this place? And what year is it?”  I just wanted to go home as soon as possible.  The young man replied, “You are now in Hong Kong; the year is 2060."
"What!" I exclaimed. "2060!"  I had travelled 48 years forward in time!

“Let me introduce myself", he continued.  "I am junior Charles Ho junior. I am your grandson!
”Oh my god", I thought, "he must be kidding!"
“Grandpa, you came here for a reason. Hong Kong is dying!  You must save our home!  For decades, Hong Kong people have been destroying their home. Pollution, deforestation and over-use of resources have made this city unsuitable for living. Look around, look at the ash everywhere, Look at the black fumes shutting out the blue sky!  Many people have moved out of this city… they just gave up hope.”
  
“There is nothing I can do", I said.  "I am just a student, and the year is 2013!”  Actually, I really believed that this was a dream.
“No, Grandpa. There is a lot you can do. When you go back to 2013, you must urge the government do something to protect the precious environment. Hong Kong people still have the chance to change their lives. It depends on you. Please! Help us!”  His pleading voice began to fade in my ears.

Dark again…

I was standing under the building. I look upon the sky; the sky was gleaming with stars. Was what just happened real, or not?  

I didn’t know - but I knew I had to do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment