30 July, 2012

A Drama Reflection

By 4B CHAK HOI KI


   When I first read the story, I was immediately attracted by it.  It is a really creative story which combines two different stories from different cultures (Snow White and Mulan).  I thought the writer is really imaginative.  However, it was difficult for me to remember the script which I had never seen before, especially as I was the main character - Snow White - who had a lot of lines to learn.

     At the first rehearsal, the atmosphere was quite awkward, even embarrassing. As none of the characters had learnt their lines, we could only read the script rather clumsily. However all my classmates are responsible, and read the script quickly. As I was the main character, my performance was quite important, so I discussed the acting and stagecraft with others . Everyone asked me to act in what I thought was a very exaggerated way; I thought it was a difficult task for me. I was really shy and afraid to do it. Fortunately, my English teacher practised with me and helped me to solve the problem. After that, I started to devote myself to the play.

 Also, the props team started to design the props and background 'drops'. Most of my classmates stayed after school to help make them, even though they were not in the team. Through this, I could see my classmates were enthusiastic, proactive and keen to be involved in the drama. Luckily, everything was going smoothly.

      Day by day , the preparation for the play was slowly completed. We discussed the acting , sound effects and plot together to make final decisions. Finally, the day of the performance arrived.

  We arrived early in order to have enough time to get made up. As other classes had prepared very well, I was full of misgivings. Some of the stories were adapted from novels and their performances were really wonderful. Fortunately, our class also did a good job, and went wqithout a hitch.  The duration of the play was also just right. The lighting, sound effects and plot matched perfectly. We did it as well as in our rehearsals.

      Although we didn't get as good a mark as we wished, I learnt a lot through this drama competition. We improved our collaboration and communication skills, and we used our critical thinking ability to find the problems and solve them. Even  though it was quite sad not to win the competition, it was still a precious experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment